Friday, September 23, 2011

GRAM'S LARGE APRON PENNY


[PHOTO: Mary Elizabeth "Betty" Bennett Scott (born 1897 Missouri - died 1980 Oregon) holding my daughter Rebecca (born 1964) on the Higinbotham Farm in Central Point, Oregon, in August 1966.]

Submitted by: Dorothy Hazel Tarr. 

(I found this wonderful tribute on the Internet and it touched my Heart where memories of my BELOVED Maternal Gram live with her LOVING and gentle ways.  The picture of Gram that I carry in my Heart is one with her in her large apron penny that she always wore over her day dress.  When I 'helped' Gram, she would put one of her very large apron pennies on me, and roll up the waist to shorten it to fit me and use safety pins to hold it on my shoulders.  It was a REAL HONOR to wear one of her aprons!  When we wore those apron pennies, the world was a magical place!  In our apron pennies, we challenged yard chickens for their eggs, battled weeds when gardening, tussled with the dust mop when doing morning chores, dodged thorns when collecting fresh flowers for the farmhouse, and avoided spills-n-stains while doing kitchen duty.)


Grandma's Apron


When I used to visit Grandma.
I was very much impressed,
by her all-purpose apron,
and the power it possessed.
For Grandma, it was everyday
to choose one when she dressed.
The strings were tied and freshly washed,
and maybe even pressed.
The simple apron that it was,
you would never think about;
the things she used it for,
that made it look worn out.


She used it for a basket,
when she gathered up the eggs,
and flapped it as a weapon,
when hens pecked her feet and legs.
She used it to carry kindling
when she stoked the kitchen fire.
And to hold a load of laundry,
or to wipe the clothesline wire.
She used it for a hot pad,
to remove a steaming pan,
and when her brow was heated,
she used it for a fan.

It dried our childish tears,
when we'd scrape a knee and cry,
and made a hiding place
when the little ones were shy.
Farm produce took in season,
in the summer, spring and fall,
found its way into the kitchen
from Grandma's carry all.
When Grandma went to heaven,
God said she now could rest.
I'm sure the apron she chose that day,
was her Sunday best.

[~Author unknown]


No comments:

Post a Comment