Saturday, February 19, 2011

MY KITCHEN CHILI


                                        [PHOTO SOURCE: GOOGLE online images]

***************

NOW, before you even think about trying this recipe of 'My Kitchen Chili', I'll have to tell you that it is one of my Crock-Pot-Recipes that I use to "empty my frig at the end of a week".

That being said, you will understand that the CHILI is never the 'same' from week to week, as each week my frig and pantry have a different variety of 'end of week food stuffs'!

SO, like any recipe make this YOUR OWN, by using YOUR OWN MAGIC TOUCHES and PROCESS! THEN, SHARE your magic with me -- by leaving a comment on this posting!
---------------


SO, I begin by putting the following basics into the CROCK-POT (or whatever favorite slow cooking pot you prefer from your kitchen). (With the changing sizes of cans and containers, you will have to use your 'cooking eye' to measure. I would guess that a can of 15 oz size would yield about 2 cups!) SO, here we go!!!


MY KITCHEN CHILI


PUT INTO CROCK-POT--
1 large can diced tomatoes (about 28 oz size)


1 can tomato sauce (about 15 oz size)
1 cup BEER (use your favorite!)
1 can black beans-rinsed and drained (about 15 oz size)
2 cans dark red kidney beans-rinsed and drained (about 15 oz each)
1 can undrained corn (or I use frozen corn, it's healthier) (about 15 oz)
1 small can jalapeno (about 1 cup)
(HINT—use the rest of the can of jalapeno for the cornbread. It is OKAY to make cornbread from a MIX, just add your 'magic' – like jalapeno, frozen or canned-drained corn, red bell pepper, and/or anything else that suits your 'fancy'!)

DICE and add to CROCK-POT-MIXTURE--

(I use a food processor or my NEW knives that I bought myself for my Birthday this Jan 2011—love those new knives!!!)

6 diced green tomatillos
(these are green tomato things in the grocery, or use can of tomatillos –they are in the 'ethnic Tex-Mex section of your grocery store' about 1-2 cups)
1 – 2 stalks finely chopped celery (I even use the leaves)
1 – 2 grated carrots (cleaned and peeled, I PREFER GRATED so I do NOT have to look at the carrots--for when grated the carrots sort of 'dissolve')
1 cup seeded and chopped green, red, and/or yellow bell pepper


SEASONING to TASTE--

Now I keep a package of Lawry's Taco Seasoning MIX on hand, and feel no GUILT about using it for this CHILI. BUT, sometimes I like to use my own 'magic' and 'seasonings', so that being said, DO YOUR BEST with these ideas and TEMPER them to YOUR SPECIAL TASTE for "hot" or "spicy".

Seasonings (as I said to your taste)


3 Tablespoon chili powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry parsley
1 Tablespoon dry, diced or fresh garlic
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cocoa powder (NOW, this is my SPECIAL MAGIC!!!)
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (this makes your chili hot and spicy)
1 tsp Tabasco (this makes your chili hot and spicy)
1 tsp white sugar (or sweetener, honey, or brown sugar)
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 T white flour to thicken

BEEF and ONION MIXTURE--

BROWN and STIR 1 pound lean ground beef with 1 large chopped white or yellow onion (the BROWNing gives the onion and beef more FLAVOR. POUR off any fat!

POUR / sprinkle seasonings onto beef onion mixture and heat to release the flavor of the seasoning and infuse them into beef and onion.

NOW, pour the beef, onion, seasonings into CROCK-POT! AND, cook until you cannot help yourself anymore, and just have to have a serving!!!!

---------------

WELL, now that I have 'worn out your eyes' and 'scared you with all the fixings';
here is my usual 'LAZY-BONES KITCHEN CHILI'!


LAZY-BONES KITCHEN CHILI

1 pkg Lawrys Taco dry mix
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 cans red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 cup frozen corn (always a staple in my freezer)
1 cup bell pepper (fresh, or frozen in my freezer)
1 lb browned and drained ground beef
1 large chopped onion (cooked in microwave for about 3-5 minutes)
1 stalk chopped celery
1 carrot grated
1 Tablespoon chili powder
Garlic to taste (dry, powdered, fresh, whatever is on shelf)
½ tsp cocoa powder (NOW, this is my SPECIAL MAGIC !!!)
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (this makes your chili hot and spicy)
1 tsp Tabasco (this makes your chili hot and spicy)
1 tsp white sugar (or sweetener, honey, or brown sugar)
2 Tablespoon white flour to thicken
¼ cup olive oil

---------------
NOW, after about F-I-V-E hours of slow cooking--


GARNISH and serve with any/all of these toppings
cilantro fresh leaves to sprinkle on
sliced green onions (pretty when cut on diagonal)
grated cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
Serve with warmed (in microwave) corn tortilla chips,
sour cream
diced avocado
sliced black olives

Side serving of a terrific green salad and/or Corn Bread

SERVE with your favorite BEER, TEA, or beverage

---------------

SPECIAL NOTE: 

My BELOVED daughter has this to say about this posting of My Kitchen Chili,
"Sounds YUMMY!  Hadn't thought of cocoa, but it soungs GREAT!"

a

No comments:

Post a Comment